Vauxhall Distribution Centre in Luton to Celebrate it's 50th Anniversary





Vauxhall's main parts distribution centre in Luton was one of the largest facilities in the country when it opened in 1967, with a working figure of 52,000 part numbers. In the 60's, rolls of paper and order tickets were used, dissimilar to the modern use of handheld computer units. Modern technology has meant for a leaner workforce of 200 people, in comparison to around 1000 people used when the warehouse first opened. In current times, trucks are used to deliver stock on a next day delivery basis, unlike 50 years ago, when order were delivered on a weekly basis by rail, van, truck, and even at times plane.